Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Falcon Works, London Road, Isleworth.
1929 The company moved to Isleworth.
1932 The majority of AFN was acquired by H. J. Aldington and run by the three Aldington brothers, H. J., Donald A. and William H. Aldy's son, John Taylor ("JT") Aldington was the last of the family owners/directors until AFN Ltd was sold to Porsche GB.
1934 They became importers and assemblers of BMW cars and sold them as Frazer-Nash-BMW. They were the official British BMW importer until the outbreak of war in 1939.
WWII During World War II, the company was involved in armaments production.
Post War: Eighty-five more cars were produced from 1948 to 1957. These cars were largely a direct evolution of the sporting BMW 328. In the choice of Bristol engines the cars were natural successors to the imported BMWs, the Bristol engine being a development of that of the BMW 328. Models include the Le Mans Replica, the Mille Miglia, the Targa Florio, the Le Mans Coupe and the Sebring. Competition successes included a third place at Le Mans (1949) and a win in the Targa Florio (1951). These post-war cars are very highly prized by collectors.
1945 the Bristol Aeroplane Co created a Car Division and bought a controlling stake in AFN
1947 Bristols ended its links with AFN
1950 Aqcuired Invicta (Cobham).
1952 The company participated in the Formula One season, the cars driven by Tony Crook and Ken Wharton.
1954 The company started to sell Porsche cars, becoming the official importer for Great Britain in 1956.
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Importing Porsche cars.
1965 Porsche Cars Great Britain was set up and the arrangement with AFN ended; Aldington family members remained on the board of this company for some time.