Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A. Brown and Sons Ltd., of Perth St., West, Hull, E. Yorks.
Founded by Anthony Brown (1829-1880) as a booksellers and publishers at 3 Prospect Street.
1872 Anthony's son John became a partner in the business, not trading as A. Brown and Son.
1877 More land was purchased to expand the business at 26 & 27 Saville Street. This year Anthony's second son Walter Brown came into the business and it was subsequently renamed A. Brown and Sons in 1880.
1895 Acquired 28 & 29 Saville Street, with a printing works established at West Street under the name of Brown Brothers.
1905 A. Brown & Sons were founded as a private company under the name of A. Brown & Sons Limited, and in 1906 John Brown became the first chairman of the company.
1911 saw the creation of the School Stationary Manufacturing Department in purpose built accommodation at 19-21 Dock Street.
1928 A warehouse was built at Perth Street West to deal with the expanding business. The Letterpress Printing Works opened in 1929 with the printing works, stationary manufacturing, school contracts & export department all brought together under one roof.
c1930s Makers of registers/forms and school equipment.
The Saville Street premises were destroyed in an air raid in 1941.