Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Cossor House, Highbury Grove, London, N5. Telephone: North 4340. Cables: "Amplifiers, London".
1859 Alfred Charles Cossor established a company in Clerkenwell, to manufacture scientific glassware.
1875 Alfred's eldest son, also called Alfred Charles Cossor, joined the company
1902 The company produced the first British made Braun tube (cathode ray tube)
1904 Experimental valves were produced by Cossor for Ambrose Fleming.
1908 A. C. Cossor left his father's business to found his own company as a private company making scientific and electrical instruments. The expertise in the manufacture of electrical glassware, such as early cathode ray tubes and X-Ray tubes, allowed the company to diversify later into electronics.
1909 Frank eventually took over the running of the scientific glassware company which continues to this day as Accoson, a manufacturer of sphygmomanometers.
1910 Alfred Charles Cossor died. At some point W. R. Bullimore gained a controlling interest in the company; he went on to develop the first thermionic valves that Cossor marketed, incorporating market leading technology
1910 A. C. Cossor and Co exhibited at the Physical Society's Exhibition.
WWI During the first world war the company was one of the first to produce valves in quantity for the war effort including large numbers of type R valves, a generic valve design produced by several other companies.
1918 The company moved to Highbury, to a factory called the Aberdeen Works. The office building which was called Cossor House, is still standing and now forms part of London Metropolitan University campus. Many of the buildings interior art deco furnishings remain untouched.
Post-WWI the company produced its first radio sets in kit form, given the name Melody Maker.
1921 Scientific instrument maker
1924 Cossor introduced the first British valves to incorporate an oxide coated filament.
1926 Ceased manufacture of filament lamps.
1927 Company launched its famous "Melody Makers" radio sets - these constructor kits did much to popularise radio.
1929 Advert for Radio Receiving Valves. Also as makers of H. T. Eliminators; Trickle Chargers; L. F. Transformers; Loud Speakers; Motor Bulbs. Tuning Coils; Valve Holders; and complete kits of nparts for the construction of the "Cossor Melody Maker". Screened Grid Sets. Electric Lamps and Signs. (Wireless Section - Stand Nos. MM.31, MM.32 and MM.33) 
1930 First British RF pentode valve was made by Cossor.
1932 Company introduced its first cathode ray oscilloscope.
By 1933 A. C. Cossor Ltd was making electrical condensers and miscellaneous stamping for wireless apparatus at the Kelvin Works , Kelvin Road, Highbury Grove, N.5.
1935 Cossor cathode ray tube was used in the Daventry Experiment for radar research, conducted using the BBC transmitter.
1936 Company sold its first television receiver.
1937 Receivers for the Chain Home primary radar system, the world's first radar air defence system, were built by Cossor.
Cossor remained pre-eminent in the development of the cathode ray oscilloscope with the introduction of a dual beam version of the instrument.
1937 Manufacturers of wireless valves and apparatus. 
1938 A. C. Cossor Ltd became a public company.
1938 John Ismay resigned his directorship; J. H. Thomas was the sold managing director
1939 The company switched to war production.
WWII: Produced hundreds of receiving stations for the Chain HOME defence network, each the size of a caravan. Developed GEE airborne radio location equipment, and other ground and sea-based radio communication equipment. Cossor also became involved in the early development of airborne IFF radar.
1943 Leslie Herbert Bedford was Chief Research Engineer, received an OBE.
1945 Secondary radar for air traffic control became a key area of development.
1945 The company's valve operations were concentrated in one unit which became the new subsidiary Electronic Tubes in 1946. Also formed Cossor Radar Ltd.; factory established at Aldermaston for Sterling Cable Co
1949 EMI acquired control of Cossor
1953 Manufacturer of TV sets 
1955 Cossor Group also included:
1957 Reduced demand for radios and televisions had left an overhang of stock that needed to be disposed of; cut back in government work; reorganisation of the company to form a number of independent subsidiaries which had their own boards and would make decisions about their own businesses:
In addition existing subsidiaries continued, including:
and subsidiaries in Canada and USA
1958 The radar and electronics part of the Company moved to Harlow.