Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A. G. Mumford, maker of steam and oil enginers, boilers, pumps, of Culver Street Ironworks, Colchester.
1877 Arthur George Mumford returned to England from Germany and took over the old works of Davey, Paxman and Co when they moved to the Standard Ironworks. He had shared the works with them previously. Making ironwork for sewerage undertakings, pumping machinery for waterworks and small marine engines.
1884 Supplied the ironwork for Colchester Water Tower.
1888 Compound Yacht Engine. 
1889 Steam launch engines. 
1890 Illustration and article of their steam ballast pump using Mumford and Dalby's patent valve gear. 
1900 July 20th. Vertical Compound Surface-Condensing Engine for HM Dockyard at Chatham. Illustrations and article. 
1905 Company incorporated as a private limited company; other directors were Engineer Lieutenant Alfred Burner, late R.N ., Engineer-Inspector at the Admiralty, and Alfred Anthony, a long term employee of Mr Mumford's.
Much of the work of this company was for the Admiralty. They produced a complete range small compound surface condensing marine engines. There were also some larger engines suitable for yachts, tugs and cargo boats.
1920 Public company. A. G. Mumford retired from the chairmanship but remained on the board.
1922 A. G. Mumford and Co, manufacturer of air, oil fuel, and feed pumps.
Boiler feed pump. Exhibit at Bradford Industrial Museum
Known for his donkey pump, an example of which can be seen at Westonzoyland Museum
1933 The founder died and the goodwill was acquired by G. and J. Weir