Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Car makers of Dudley, Tipton and Smethwick. Bean Cars were made between 1919 and 1929.
See also -
1826 Company formed by Absolom Harper and his two sons, to make fire grates and iron shot.
1911 Drop hammers were installed at the works to produce forgings for the up and coming motor industry.
1912 These hammers were transferred to Smethwick when the company established a forging plant there
1914 Engineers, stampers and iron founders. 
WWI Had large factories at Dudley and Tipton to produce for the war. The business greatly prospered during thanks to ministry contracts for munitions. The factory buildings were extended in order to increase the production of shrapnel and shell cases. By 1916 around 21,000 shell cases were produced every week.
At the end of hostilities, munitions orders stopped; motor cars were becoming increasingly popular; the company decided to become a car manufacturer.
1919 Incorporated in a new company, Harper Bean Ltd, which was formed to bring together a number of interests in car manufacturing.
1920 Announced price reductions on their cars . However it later turned out that prior to this reduction the car was being sold at a loss. Company was put into receivership by one of its creditors but rescued through work by Harper Bean management.
1921 As part of this scheme, A. Harper, Sons and Bean bought back 55% of its shares from Harper Bean, using money largely from Sir George Bean and family, in exchange for shares in Harper Bean. Mr John Harper Bean was appointed managing director.
1926 Following financial problems, the company was rescued by steel supplier Hadfields, from Sheffield, and the name changed to Bean Cars of Dudley (see advert)
1927 The cars were known as Hadfield Beans.
1931 The company went into liquidation.
1937 The Tipton factory was also responsible for making Captain George Eyston's world land speed record car Thunderbolt which took the record in 1937.