Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

ASEA Electric

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Walthamshow

Part of Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Co, UK subsidiary of ASEA of Sweden, manufacturer of transformers and other electrical equipment

1896 John Leslie Fuller was appointed sales representative of Allmana Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget (A.S.E.A.), to organise the sale of A.S.E.A. single-phase motors in Great Britain.

1898 July 1: Because John Fuller's enterprise had been so successful, a UK company was founded, the Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Company at the invitation of Mr. George Wenstrom, managing director of A.S.E.A.. Fuller disposed of his electrical contracting business to become manager of the Fuller-Wenstrom Electrical Manufacturing Company

1901 Factory opened in the Haunch of Venison Yard, off Brook Street, London W.1. for the assembly of motors from components imported from Sweden.

1905 After four years' operation in Haunch of Venison Yard, staffed by fifteen workmen, the factory was moved to Blackhorse Lane, Walthamstow, especially to manufacture motors up to 200 h.p.

c.1910 The firm was constituted as a limited liability company - ASEA Electric Ltd

1915 a new factory was built in Fulbourne Road, Walthamstow. At the same time, the sales offices were moved to Chancery Lane and branch offices were opened in Manchester and Birmingham.

1915 name changed to Swedish General Electric Ltd

1919 Started to manufacture transformers (up to 100kVA)

1928 Name changed to ASEA Electric Ltd

1929 Began making on-load tap changers

1932 the firm began to build variable speed a.c. commutator motors

1935 The factory was extended by 41,000 square feet to allow increased production of motors

Pre-WWII: further extensions to enable manufacture of high voltage switchgear and to make room for an enlarged tank shop.

1955 Centralisation of production at the new West Works at Walthamstow, closing the control gear factory at Leyton, special welding electrodes manufacture in Birmingham and a machine shop in Poplar.

1957 Brush Electrical Engineering Co Ltd made a proposal to take-over ASEA Electric Ltd. The name of ASEA Electric would be changed to Fuller Electric Co Ltd[1].

1957 Became part of Hawker Siddeley Group. continued as sole representative of ASEA in the UK

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Times, 7 May 1957
  • The Engineer 1958/10/03