Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,194 pages of information and 233,428 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This entry includes the tramroad built by the Aberdare Canal Co.
The canal ran from Aberdare to a junction with the Glamorganshire Canal at Abercynon.
1793 Authorised by Act of Parliament. The Act also included a railway or stone road to join the canal's terminus with the Neath Canal at Abernant near Glynn Neath. At that time, though, only one ironworks existed in the Aberdare district - the Hirwaun Ironworks, and because of the limited potential for traffic it was decided to delay construction.
The Aberdare Canal Co decided to build a rail road, with edge rails, between Hirwaun Common and Penderyn. This was built by James Dadford and was completed in 1795.
By 1805 three iron producers were active in the Aberdare district: Hirwaun, Aberdare Iron Co at Llwydcoed, and Abernant Iron Co.
1809 A decision to build the Aberdare Canal was finally taken in September
1812 Canal opened
1875 Failure of the iron industry and increasing subsidence due to coal mining led to the canal becoming uneconomic.
1885 Taken over by the Marquess of Bute who failed to halt its decline
1900 Closed on safety grounds.
The Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canals' Volume 1 devotes a chapter to the canal, with excellent maps and illustrations