Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,096 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Albert Dock is a complex of dock buildings and warehouses in Liverpool, part of Liverpool Docks.
Designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick, it was the first structure in Britain to be built from cast iron, brick and stone, with no structural wood. As a result, it was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.
1846 The Dock was opened
At the time of its construction the Albert Dock was considered a revolutionary docking system because ships were loaded and unloaded directly from/to the warehouses. Two years after it opened it was modified to feature the world's first hydraulic cranes. Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock became a popular store for valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, tea, silk, tobacco, ivory and sugar. However, despite the Albert Dock's advanced design, the rapid development of shipping technology meant that within 50 years, larger, more open docks were required, although it remained a valuable store for cargo.