Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alexander Aubrey Blaker (1870-1947)
Born the son of Edwin Charles Blaker, Analytical Chemist.
1897 Married at Camden to Jessie Mary Ann Cheeseman
1911 Living at Chusan House, Squires Lane, Church End, Finchley: Alexander Aubrey Blaker (age 40 boen St. Pancras), Managing Director, Mechanical Engineer, Motor Engine Repair, and Oxy-Acetylene Welding - Employer. With his wife Jessie Mary Ann and two daughters.
1949 Obituary 
"ALEXANDER AUBREY BLAKER, who was born in London in 1870, retained a connection with that area during the whole of his lifetime. For many years he was the managing director of the Blaker Motor and Welding Company, Ltd., of Acton, and as an expert in the application of welding to specialized repairs and manufacture was well known in the motor industry.
Of this side of mechanical engineering he was one of the earliest pioneers in this country and his work was utilized by most of the Government departments and many engineering firms. He received his technical training at the City of London College and the Birkbeck Institute.
In 1886 he commenced a seven years' apprenticeship with the Henry Rifled Barrel and Engineering Company, Ltd., who, after an interval of two years, re-engaged his services as assistant foreman until 1899 when he became principal foreman to the Blenheim Engineering Co.
In the following year he was made works manager, a position he retained until 1908. Three years later he established his business at Finchley, and this was moved to Acton in 1933. He continued to be actively engaged in the business for twenty-eight years. More recently he had been in practice as a technical expert and consultant, finally retiring at the age of seventy-three. Mr. Blaker contributed numerous articles to the journals of engineering societies and to technical publications, and was lecturer on motor vehicle production at the Regent Street Polytechnic from 1930 to 1936. He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1904. His death occurred at North Finchley on 1st April 1947."