Alexander Millar (1879-1950)
1952 Obituary 
"ALEXANDER MILLAR spent thirty-eight years of his engineering career, including his apprenticeship, in the service of Andrew Barclay, Sons and Company, Ltd., Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, where he also received his general education at the Academy and obtained his technical training at the Science and Art School. On the completion of a seven-year apprenticeship in 1902 he was employed as a journeyman draughtsman for three years. He then filled in succession the positions of assistant to the works manager, drawing office checker, chief draughtsman with the charge of the estimating department, and finally works manager. He left the firm in 1933 and went to Falkirk where he was manager of the Carron Iron Company's engineering department until 1935. In the following year he joined the staff of Sanbra, Ltd., Birmingham, engineers, as production manager and assistant to the managing director. His final position, which he held from 1940 to 1946 was that of labour supply inspector in the Ministry of Labour and National Service. Mr. Millar, who was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1912, was lecturer in mechanical engineering for the Ayrshire County Council from 1902 to 1915. His death, in his seventy-first year, occurred at his home in Kilmarnock on 30th November 1950."