Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,145 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alexander Moir (c1859-1944)
1944 Obituary 
ALEXANDER MOIR, O.B.E., who died on the 8th July, 1944, at the age of 85, received his early education at the School of Oyne, Aberdeen, and entered the service of the Post Office as a telegraphist in 1874. Joining the Post Office Engineering Department in 1878, he held successive appointments at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Bradford, Leeds, Newcastle-on-Tyne and Dublin before becoming, in 1903, the Staff Engineer in charge of the Construction Section of the Engineer-in-Chief's Office. At this time the methods of external construction were being revised: the Post Office was carrying out a large scheme for the provision of underground plant in London and for long-distance circuits, and Moir standardized methods of underground construction for use throughout the country. From 1906 until his retirement in 1921, he served as Superintending Engineer of the London Engineering District, during which period he had to handle many difficult problems arising from the transfer to the Post Office of the National Telephone Company's system, and from the War of 1914-18. For his services in connection with the war he was made an O.B.E.
Throughout his long career he maintained unfailing energy and was renowned for his imperturbability. He had a natural ability for organization and was a great believer in conferences and in devolving responsibility to its furthest safe point—methods which earned him high respect from his large staff. He had high ideals for the Post Office Engineering Department and did valiant service in obtaining recognition of the importance of the work done by the staff.
Outside business hours and after his retirement he kept himself fit on the golf course and bowling green, particularly the latter. He was in turn President of the South London Bowling Club, the Magdalen Park Bowling Club and the Spencer Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club.
He joined The Institution as an Associate in 1894 and was elected an Associate Member in 1899 and a Member in 1915. He served on the Committee of the North-Eastern Centre from 1901 to 1903, and on the Committee of the Irish Centre from 1907 to 1909.