Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alexander Sinclair Macpherson (1835-1902) of Fairbairn, Naylor, Macpherson and Co, Wellington Foundry, Leeds.
1902 Obituary 
ALEXANDER SINCLAIR MACPHERSON was born in Aberdeen on 23rd November 1835.
Having been educated in Kirkcaldy, his parents sent him to Leeds in 1849 with a letter of introduction to Mr. (afterwards Sir) Peter Fairbairn, of Wellington Foundry, who took him into his works. He progressed so well that he was admitted into partnership at the age of forty-eight. Meanwhile he had paid frequent visits to Scotland and the Continent on behalf of the firm, but of late years he did not travel much, his energies being devoted to the management of the works.
The branch of engineering carried on at Wellington Foundry has been principally the production of textile machinery, and although there is also a large department for making machine tools such as are used for railway and ordnance works, &c., it was to the perfecting of the machinery used in the preparation and spinning of flax, hemp, jute, and similar fibres, that he directed his attention, and in connection with which he effected many improvements. His advice and opinion were much valued in the Dundee jute circles, and he was instrumental in establishing a large connection throughout the jute trade in Calcutta.
In 1900 the business of Messrs. Fairbairn, Naylor, Macpherson and Co., was amalgamated with that of three other machine-making concerns, and became known as the Fairbairn Macpherson branch of Messrs. Fairbairn, Lawson, Combe, Barbour. Of this branch he was managing director. He was one of the District Commissioners of Property and Income Tax for Leeds.
His death took place at his residence in Harrogate, from heart failure, on 30th September 1902, in his sixty-seventh year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1884.