Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,894 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
See Newport Docks
1868 Work started on building the docks
1875 Advert: These docks were opened; owned by the Alexandra (Newport and South Wales) Docks and Railway Co
1892 The Alexandra Dock was extended with the addition of the South Dock with the original Alexandra Dock becoming known as the North Dock.
1907 An extension to the Alexandra South Dock was opened.
1914 The Alexandra Dock was further expanded and a new South Lock (the Great Sea Lock) opened with direct access to the Severn Estuary.