Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,378 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alfred Carnall (1875-1933)
1933 Obituary 
ALFRED CARNALL was chief mechanical engineer to the Commissioners for the Port of Calcutta at the time of his death, which occurred on 9th August 1932. The whole of his engineering career was spent in India, and he was responsible for the carrying out of many important undertakings for the Commissioners.
Mr. Carnall was born in Sheffield in 1875 and served his apprenticeship from 1894 to 1899 with Messrs. Vickers, Sons and Maxim. During the latter part of this time he was in charge of the construction of a 5,000-ton hydraulic press.
Subsequently he joined the firm of Messrs. Richardson and Cruddas, Byculla Iron Works, Bombay, with whom he remained until 1911. He was entirely responsible for the remodelling of the Byculla Ironworks, the largest foundry in Western India. He then took up an appointment as general manager and engineer to the Reliance Foundry at Madras, owned by Messrs. South India Industrials. Under his direction the Madras Corporation erected the largest circular overhead water supply tank ever built.
In 1914 Mr. Carnall took over the management of several important companies owned by Sir Hajee Ismail Sait, late managing director of Messrs. South India Industrials.
In 1915, however, he resigned and was appointed deputy superintendent of machinery by the Calcutta Port Commissioners, becoming superintendent in 1928.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1911 and was transferred to Membership in 1923.