Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,139 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Alfred Ernest Green

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Alfred Ernest Green (1872-1930)


1930 Obituary [1]

ALFRED ERNEST GREEN was born at Portsmouth in 1872 and trained at the Royal Naval College at Keyham, Devonport.

He entered the Royal Navy as an engineer, but resigned his commission in order to accept the position of instructor to the Chinese Navy. The war between China and Japan delayed his departure for the East and at the end of the war his agreement was cancelled, though he was compensated by the Chinese.

He then entered the works of Messrs. Vickers at Erith and subsequently entered the London office of the British Thomson-Houston Company.

After a further period with the tramways department of the London County Council Mr. Green joined Messrs. Dick, Kerr and Company in 1899 as outside engineer.

Upon their amalgamation with the English Electric Company he was appointed manager of the outside department at Stafford, and retained this position until his death on 1st September 1930.

He became a Member of the Institution in 1911.


1930 Obituary [2]

ALFRED ERNEST GREEN, who died on the 1st September, 1930, was born in 1872 and was educated at Oliver's Mathematical College, Portsmouth.

He entered the naval service as an engineering cadet in 1887, and was trained at the Royal Naval Engineering College, Keyham, Devonport.

After two years' service at sea he resigned his commission in the Royal Navy, and accepted the position of engineering instructor to the Chinese Navy. This appointment, which at first entailed looking into the progress of certain armament contracts that the Chinese Government had placed in this country, did not last very long.

He was then for some time at the Maxim Nordenfelt Works, Erith, Kent, and afterwards on the staff of the British Thomson Houston Co.

In 1898 he became chief draughtsman in the late Sir James Clifton Robinson's offices at Stockton-on-Tees and Chiswick, London, but resigned in 1899 to join the staff of Messrs. Dick Kerr and Co., Preston, as chief engineer of the electrical erecting staff. Here he was responsible for the equipment of electric tramcars and electric rolling stock, for the installation of heavy generating machinery for power houses, etc., and for electric equipment for industrial purposes generally.

When the company became merged in the English Electric Co. he retained his original position.

He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1912.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information