Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Flemington Electrical Works, Motherwell, Lanarkshire (1910), mining equipment makers
of Rotherham and Cardiff
1900 Company founded. Anderson Boyes began business with the manufacture of coal cutting machines. These were followed by flame-proof control gear, shake conveyors, gate end loaders and a wide range of coal cutting machines, both for longwall and bord and pillar mining.
1904 Became private company.
1910 Patent on improvement in coal cutting machine by the company and Alexander Anderson, director of the company.
About 1945 the company became the first manufacturer of effective longwall cutter loaders, which were the first machines capable both of cutting the coal and loading it on to the belt conveyor. The introduction of the armoured face conveyor into UK mines in the late 1940s enabled continuous mining.
Early 1950s: Anderson Boyes developed the trepanner to meet the NCB's need for a power loader capable of producing the large coal required by the industry's customers. The company also provided the basic concept from which the NCB developed and patented the principle of the Anderton shearer loader, which was the forerunner of the modern shearer. Licences for its manufacture were given by the NCB to Eickhoff and British Jeffrey Diamond as well as to Anderson Strathclyde.
1961 Electrical mining and mechanical engineers specialising in manufacture of coal cutting machinery and mining type switches. 1,500 employees. 
1971 Integration of the two companies' trading took place. The principal products became the power loader and, to a lesser extent, the roadheader. The merged company continued to play a major role in the mechanisation of coal winning by the NCB, particularly over the 1960s.
1974 The company changed its name to Anderson Strathclyde Ltd. Anderson Strathclyde's further development and growth were partly based on the important contribution it had made during the 1960s.