Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Andrew Brown (c1882-1941)
1941 Obituary 
1942 Obituary 
ANDREW BROWN was managing director and chairman of the board of Messrs. W. Simons and Company, Ltd., engineers and shipbuilders, of Renfrew. He had been associated with that firm throughout the whole of his professional career, including his apprenticeship which he served from 1901 to 1907. He was educated at the High School, Glasgow, and at La Villette, Yverdon, Switzerland, and acquired his technical training at Paisley and Glasgow Technical Colleges and the University of Glasgow.
Returning to Messrs. Simon as engineering workshop manager, he was appointed general manager three years later, with full responsibility for all the shops, iron and brass foundries, and the fitting out of vessels under construction.
During the war of 1914-18 he was placed in command of a battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and was later promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel, R.E., in charge of inland waterways and docks. He returned to his position as general manager for Messrs. Simons in 1919 and was so occupied until 1924, in which year he was appointed joint managing director.
Mr. Brown's death occurred on 30th September 1941, in his fifty-ninth year. He was elected to Membership of the Institution in 1926.