Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,057 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A. Handyside and Co of Britannia Ironworks, Derby.
1847 Advert: 'BRITANNIA FOUNDRY, DUKE STREET, DERBY.
THE EXECUTORS of the late THOMAS WRIGHT, having DISPOSED of the BUSINESS, lately carried on by them, at the Britannia Foundry, in Duke-street, Derby, to Mr. ANDREW HANDYSIDE, return their sincere thanks for the many favours received, and beg to recommend to the notice of the public their successor, whom they hope will meet with a continuance of their favour. All debts owing on account of the above Business, to Saturday, the 19th of June inclusive, must be paid to Mr. Stone, Accountant, No. 19, Saint Alkmund's Church-yard, Derby, or to his Clerk at the Foundry ; and all parties having any claim against the said Executors, on account of the above Business, are requested to send tbe same to Mr. Stone, in order that it may be examined and discharged.
ANDREW HANDYSIDE begs to inform the public that he has TAKEN to the above BUSINESS, which he purposes to carry on as heretofore, and assuring them of his desire on all occasions to pay his best attention to their wishes and convenience, trusts to receive a continuance of the favour shewn to his predecessors. June 21st, 1847.'
1861-2 Produced the ironwork for the Royal Agricultural Hall, now the Business Design Centre. Excellent photos of beautifully-restored ironwork here. Note: This website provides and excellent soutce of information on Handyside & Co and their products, including a list of surviving products and structures here.
1865 Supplied horizontal twin-cylinder, slide valve, winding engine for Morton Colliery.
1869 Supplied the Ironwork for the Bridge over the Trent at Nottingham.
1870 Bridge over the Abvodnoi Canal, St Petersburg, Russia. See illustration.
1870 Constructed an iron bridge over the River Pruth at Czernowitz. Six spans of lattice girders. R. C. Grant was the company's Resident Engineer.
c.1873 Supplied at least one bridge to New South Wales, the Macquarie railway bridge at Bathurst, for the Great Southern & Western Railway [NSWGR].
1873 The company was registered on 30 July, to acquire and carry on the business of the firm of this name as engineers and ironfounders. 
1876 Exhibitor at the Royal Agricultural Show at Birmingham of Tenwick's patent reaper finger and knife clip. Also portable forges with Root's blowers and some fire-bars. 
1877 Dissolution of the Partnership between Andrew Handyside, Alexander Buchanan, Francis Ley, William Statham, and Ewing Matheson, as Engineers and Iron-founders, carrying on business at the Britannia Iron Works,Derby, in the county of Derby, and at 32, Walbrook, in the city of London, under the style of Andrew Handyside and Company
1897 Made and erected Crosskeys swing bridge at Sutton Bridge. Hydraulic machinery by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co. Steel for girders made by the Staffordshire Steel Co, Bilston.. See photo.
1893 Constructed the Barton Swing Aqueduct.
1899 Built the Northwich Town Swing Bridge.
1904 Premises is increased to include new Clarke street works, alongside Duke street and Fox street works, Derby.
1905 'DERBY FIRM'S BRIDGE-BUILDING FEAT.
NEW STRUCTURE FOR OLD IN THIRTY-THREE HOURS.
A notable bridge-building feat was in progress at Norwich on Sunday, a double-track swing-bridge being thrown over the River Wensum by the Great Eastern Railway Company between Trowse Station and the city terminus on the main line to London.
At 10.30 on Satuday night traffic was suspended between Trowse and Norwich, the railway company conveying passengers to and fro by tramwaycars. For many months the contractors, Messrs. Handyside, of Derby, have been laying piers and foundations in the river under the old single-line structure, which has been in use 60 years. All through Saturday night relays-of men toiled at the new bridge, which is 122 -feet long, of balanced cantilever type, with two open spans of 44 feet, and two viaduct spans. Every preparation was made for the task of substituting the new structure for the old within the narrow space of 33 hours.
Immediately on the suspension of traffic the old bridge was dismantled, and the work of substituting the new one commenced.
The work was successfully accomplished, and 10.30 this morning trains commenced running over the new bridge—a result on which Messrs. Handyside are to be cordially congratulated. This is the 31st swing bridge which they have successfully placed in position.'
1905 Constructed the Midland Bridge (Bath).
1910 The company was in voluntary liquidation
1922 Exhibited specimens of intricate cored castings in grey iron
1931 Meeting of the company's creditors was followed by putting the company into liquidation.