The public opening occurred on the 12th August,1839
The viaduct was built to carry the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway over the river Anker and later became part of the Midland Railway.
Although only 7 m. high the Anker Viaduct is built with massive proportions in rock-faced sandstone with 18 arches of 10 m. span and is over 200 m. long. It has a distinctively wide cornice.
Grade II listed.
The railway crosses the river Anker near Amington Road on the south east side of Tamworth, accessed from the A51
Sources of Information
-  Our Transport heritage