Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Anthony Henderson McBryde (1877-1944)
1946 Obituary 
ANTHONY HENDERSON MCBRYDE was born in 1877 and received his education at the Science and Art School and at Rutherford College, Newcastle on Tyne, where he also served his apprenticeship from 1891 to 1898 with Messrs. E. Scott and Mountain, Ltd., in whose employment he continued with the charge of the lighting and power installations for a further two years.
In 1902, after a brief period as electrician-in-charge to Sir John Jackson, Ltd., he received an appointment as assistant mechanical engineer at Messrs. Mason and Barry's copper mine in South Portugal and began an association which lasted for thirteen years. He was promoted to be chief engineer five years later.
He relinquished this position in 1915 and returned to England to become assistant manager of the Metropolitan Munitions Committee. In the following year he joined Messrs. Nowell and Thompson and was engaged as mechanical engineer on the equipment of H.M. Factory at Gretna. After five years as manager of Messrs. Patterson's Engineering Works at Newcastle upon Tyne he was appointed chief engineer of the Ervedosa tin mines in the North of Portugal remaining there until 1926. He then became general manager of the Havana Marine Railways, retaining this appointment until 1932 when once more, he returned to Portugal; but failing health obliged him to live in retirement until his death which occurred on 2nd February 1944.
Mr. McBryde had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1917.