Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Argyll was a Scottish motor car marque manufactured from 1899 to 1932.
See also Argyll: Cars
The Alexandria factory was never used to capacity, and the company began to decline after Alex Govan's death in 1907 and then went into liquidation in 1908.
1908 November. Details of the proposed reconstruction scheme.
1909 January 19th. New company registered as Argylls Ltd with Thomas Dence (CHairman) and John Smart Matthew as Managing Director
1910 Production restarted with a new range of cars including the famed "Flying Fifteen", and a six-cylinder model. The 12/14 was widely sold as a taxi even being exported to New York. Four-wheel brakes designed by J. M. Rubury of Argyll and patented on 18th March 1910 by Henri Perrot and John Meredith Rubury (Patent number 6807) were available from 1911 on.
1910 Listed as 'Argylls, Ltd., Alexandria; showrooms, 92-94 Mitchell st, city; repair works and garage, Graham st, Bridgton.' under 'Motor car Agents'.
1911 Motor Show. Showed four-stroke sleeve-valve engine. 
The Knight and Kilbourne Patents Co brought a case against Argylls for infringement of their original 1905 patent. This patent described an engine with a single moving sleeve. As part of the litigation an engine was built according to the 1905 specification and developed no more than a fraction of the rated RAC horsepower. This fact coupled with other legal and technical arguments led the judge to rule, at the end of July 1912, that the holders of the original Knight patent could not be supported in their claim that it gave them master rights encompassing the Argyll design. It is reported that litigation by the owners of the Knight patents cost Argyll ₤50,000, perhaps one of the reasons for the temporary shutdown of their plant.
1914 R. W. Blackwell is Chairman
1914 Argyll changed hands and the Alexandria factory was sold to the Royal Navy for torpedo production.
Car production was resumed on a small scale in the original Bridgeton works under the control of John Brimlow who had previously run the repair department. The first product from the new company was a revival of the pre-war 15·9 hp model, now with electric starter but few were sold.
1914 Listed as motor car manufacturers. Specialities: high-class automobiles for private or industrial purposes. Employees 1,650. 
1927 The company made a final appearance at the London Motor Show and the last cars were probably made in 1928.
1932 Mention of J. D. Brimlow of Argyll Motors.
The company though still advertised until Argyll closed in 1932.