Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,402 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1871 Founded by the University of Durham, jointly with the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineering as Durham College of Science
Later renamed as Armstrong College, Newcastle upon Tyne
1888 The first building, the physical and chemical laboratories, was opened. The foundation stone had been laid by Lord Armstrong the previous year.
1894 The second block, the engineering laboratories, drawing rooms, lecture rooms and School of Art, was opened
1906 The third block, completing the irregular shaped complex, included administrative offices, common rooms, lecture hall and examination rooms. It was opened by the King. The principal of the college was Sir Isambard Owen, D.C.L.
Later renamed as King's College