Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,145 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Salisbury Road, Kilburn, London (premises previously of the Gilburt Motor Car Co)
1898 Company formed.
1889 Aron meters were one of the types offered for supply to Paris
1892 The Dundee Gas Commission selected Aron meters for certain duties in electricity supply in Dundee
1898 Public company incorporated to acquire the business of Prof. Dr Hermann Aron of Berlin, maker of electricity meters. Directors of the company included G. B. Byng and R. E. B. Crompton, chief engineer of Kensington and Knightsbridge Electric Supply Co as well as directors of other electricity supply companies; Dr Aron and Dr Julius Juttke were managing directors. The General Electric Co had an exclusive licence for 5 years. Nearly 1000 of these instruments had been ordered since the start of 1898. Electric clocks were a new line of business
c1908 Commenced making taximeters
1905 Aron were Electricity Meter Manufacturers, 114 Union St, Borough
1908 of Salisbury Road
1908 Exhibited various types of electricity meter at the Manchester Exhibition, as well as clocks, timers, counters and 2 types of taximeter - one for horse-drawn vehicles and the other for motorised vehicles.
WWI Business severely interrupted; the war caused general disorganisation of its Continental businesses
Post-war: the German works were taken over by the government
By 1927 the Taximeter Co was a subsidiary
WWII. Turned over to wartime production. As well as producing instruments for aircraft, it also made aerial loops, fuses for antiaircraft shells, but most important of all the new Mark XIV bombsight which revolutionised the accuracy of all bombing raids.
c.1960 Diversified into coin-operated timers for television, timers for domestic appliances and electronic devices.
1961 Ferranti Ltd acquired the electricity meter business of Aron Meters Ltd. Ferranti was already the largest meter manufacturer in Britain and invested more in meter manufacturing. A new subsidiary was established. The remaining one-third of the business (timers, etc) was restructured and was carried on under a new name: Astaron Electronics.
1962 Astaron sold its property in Kilburn
1913 Hermann Aron of Berlin died in Homburg, Germany