Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Dales Thomas (1872-1938)
1938 Obituary 
ARTHUR DALES THOMAS was chief mechanical and electrical engineer to Messrs. Price's Patent Candle Company, Ltd., and was responsible not only for the Belmont works, where he had his headquarters, but for the company's twenty other works in Great Britain and other parts of the world. He was born at Gateshead on Tyne in 1872 and was educated privately.
In 1886 he commenced a seven years' apprenticeship to Messrs. Carrick and Wardale, at Redheugh Works, Gateshead, and after its completion he went to sea for almost a year as fourth engineer on S.S. Suram. During 1894-5 he superintended the erection of steam generating plant at the Fleetwood works of the United Alkali Company, Ltd., after which he joined Messrs. John Abbott and Company, Ltd., of Gateshead, as leading draughtsman; subsequently he was placed in charge of the erecting work of the firm.
In 1897 he joined Messrs. R. Waygood and Company, Ltd., as leading draughtsman, and was connected with the firm for twelve years, with the exception of a period during 1901-2, when he acted as engineer and works manager to the Petolite Fuel Company, Ltd., of Greenwich. He began his association with Messrs. Price's in 1909, when he was appointed chief mechanical engineer at the firm's works at Bromborough Pool, Birkenhead. In this capacity he took charge not only of the drawing office and mechanical departments, but also of the maintenance of the works and machinery, as well as the firm's fleet of steamships and motor vehicles, and all engineering work in the 46-acre village laid out by the company. In 1925 Mr. Thomas received his appointment as chief mechanical and electrical engineer to the firm. He retired only two months before his death, which occurred on 29th June 1938.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1914 and was transferred to Membership in 1922.