Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,706 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Dudden Hill Lane, Willesden, London
1921 Hall Telephone Accessories was formed as private company to make telephone coin boxes, automatic stamp and ticket selling machines.
1929 Acquired Thomas Watson and Sons, supplier to the Post Office and the Government
1938 New factory opened at Dowlais which would be used for Government work
1945 Name changed to H.T.A. Ltd
1947 AGM told that the GPO was still the most important customer, for whom the company was developing new lines; expected to establish a rentals business; still retained the shares in Harrison, McGregor and Guest Ltd to whom had sold the Dowlais factory
1948 Name changed to Hall Telephone Accessories
1949 Products included totalisator equipment
1955 Had developed bottle vending machines used by Coca-Cola and others; expansion by acquisition of adjacent factory
1955 Entered the field of automation, electronics and instrumentation by acquiring James Gordon and Co
1956 Name changed to Associated Automation with directors including Sir Robert Watson-Watt and Mr A. Sperry of Panellit Inc; Hall Telephone Accessories would continue as a subsidiary serving its existing customers
1957 Elliott Automation issued shares to the shareholders of Elliott Brothers and Associated Automation to effect a merger of the 2 companies, forming 'the largest automation and instrumentation company in Europe' Elliott Automation Group.
1961 Manufacturers of telephone coin collecting machines, postage stamp machines and a patent type of self sealing cash box for the British Post Office, platform ticket issuing machines for British Railways, automatic bottle and commodity vending machines. Also manufacture office machinery, including duplicating machines, adding and listing machines. 850 employees.