Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,010 pages of information and 232,919 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Astley Mill, Dukinfield

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Dukinfield.

  • 1885 'Astley Mill, Dukinfield.— The ceremony of opening this mill, and christening and starting the engines, was performed on Saturday. The door of the mill was opened at one o'clock by Mrs. Nicholson, lady of the manor, with an inscribed silver key, after which a numerous party of shareholders, contractors, and friends sat down to luncheon. At half-past two the engines, after being christened Beatrice and Constance, the Christian names of the two Misses Astley, were started and worked most satisfactorily. The mill was afterwards thrown open and several thousands of visitors walked over the premises. At six o'clock some 1,600 people sat down to tea, and subsequently a meeting was held in one of the rooms of the mill, presided over by Mr. J. E. Lawton, chairman of the company, and was addressed by Mr. Nicholson, Mr. J. A. Stott, Mr. J. P. Cheetham, M.P., Dr. Robinson, and Mr. Goodfellow. The mill will contain when filled 84,000 spindles, about half twist and half weft, and will give employment to from 200 to 300 workpeople. One special feature in connection with this mill is that the land and water have been given free for ever by Mrs. Nicholson, lady of the manor, and the Astley family. The contractor for the building is Mr. Aaron Haughton, of Godley; for the steam engines, Messrs. Goodfellow and Matthews, of Hyde ; shafting, &c, Messrs. Scott and Hodgson, of Guide Bridge; and for the machinery, Messrs. Asa Lees and Co., of Oldham, and Messrs. Taylor, Lang and Co., of Stalybridge. The architects are Messrs. Stott and Sons, of Manchester and Oldham.' [1]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Tuesday 16 June 1885