Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Ballincollig, Co. Cork
1947 The Ballincollig Royal Gunpowder Mills was set up by Charles Henry Leslie (of the Cork banking family).
At one time the mills were one of Ireland's most successful industries, producing gunpowder for the military as well as for civilian purposes.
1805 The British Board of Ordnance bought the mills and extended them.
After 1815, the mills closed.
1834 the Gunpowder Mills was sold to Thomas Tobin (a Liverpool merchant).
1837 the mills employed about 200 workers and produced about 16,000 barrels of gunpowder.
By the mid-1850s, the mills had become one of the largest industrial establishments in the Cork area, employing about 500 men and boys.
1859 Severe explosion killed 5 people
Late 19th century: demand for gunpowder shrank
1880s the Briscoes bought the mills
1898 the mills came under the control of Curtis's and Harvey.
1903 The mills closed permanently
1926 ICI acquired the mills and associated lands.