Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Barnard, Bishop and Barnards of Norwich.
formerly Barnard and Bishop
1859 Advertisement: 'Barnard and Bishop, Manufacturing and General Ironmongers, Market Place, Norfolk Iron Works, Norwich, Beg to inform their Friends they have this day taken into Partnership Messrs. Charles Barnard, Jun., and Godfrey Barnard, and that the Firm future will be carried on under the title Barnard, Bishop, and Barnards. They trust these arrangements will facilitate the working of their rapidly increasing business. B. & B. return their sincere thanks for past favors, and trust the patronage so liberally bestowed them will be continued to the New Firm, who assure them that no exertion shall be spared on their part to merit it. Norwich, January 1st, 1859.' 
1860 'Light-House for the Brazils. —We visited yesterday an iron lighthouse which has just been completed by Messrs. Barnard, Bishop, and Barnards, of the Norfolk iron works in this city for the Brazilian government. It was designed by Messrs. Bramwell and Reynolds, of Westminster, and is to erected on the island of Abrolhos, on the coast of Brazil, where the navigation is very intricate, as is implied by the name given to the group of islands, which signifies. "Keep your eyes open." The lighthouse is so constructed that it can be taken to pieces, every iron plate and piece of wood being numbered that the structure can be put together without any difficulty, and with the utmost strength and compactness. It has been temporarily erected by the river side, near St. George's bridge, and has been a great object of attention and curiosity during the last few days. The tower is circular in form, and constructed of cast iron plates, in number, being twelve in height and twelve in circumference. The base of the tower is 17 feet in diameter, the top under the gallery is 13 feet, and the height is 46 feet. Round the top on the outside of the tower is a gallery on which the lantern, which will be 16 feet high, will be placed. The plates forming the tower vary in thickness from 1¼ inch to ¾ -inch, and have strong internal flanges, which are made perfectly level and reduced to one uniform size under the planing machine, these plates are secured together upwards of 2500 bolts and nuts. In the centre of the tower is a cast iron pipe or column 14 inches in diameter, passing from the bottom to the top, which serves to assist in carrying the various iron floors, and down which passes the weight causing the light to revolve. There are four cast iron floors supported by the internal flanges of the plates and of the centre column; these floors are reached from stage to stage by an elegant iron spiral staircase. The rooms are lighted by circular plate glass windows, provided with apparatus for closing so securely as to resist the force of the heaviest gale of wind. The tower is surrounded by a twelve-sided building of corrugated galvanised iron 64 feet in diameter, having panelled columns with brackets at each angle. These columns support the lower ends of the wrought iron principals which radiate from the tower, and form the main support of the roof. Two faces of the polygon are left open for entrances, and are connected with circular corridor covered with glass which surrounds the tower and gives access to the dwelling-rooms and store, at the same time acting a ventilator to the whole building. Five of the compartments are divided into dwelling-rooms for the keepers, the walls and ceilings of which are lined with wood to prevent the radiation of heat from the iron walls and roof. The corresponding five compartments are fitted up as a store to be used for stowage of stores and materials.'
Inventors of woven wire-netting. One of their machines can be seen in Bridewell Museum in Norwich.
1894-7 Period of various liquidation actions, finally released from liquidation proceedings in 1897.
1907 Barnards Ltd was incorporated as a limited company.
1910 Received Royal Warrant as Gates and Fencing Manufacturers