Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,717 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
See Bartram and Sons
1874 Built the James Craig, launched as Clan MacLeod. She was reduced to a coal hulk in Tasmania in 1925, before becoming beached in a storm in 1932. She remained beached until refloated by volunteers in 1972. Repaired at Sydney and relaunched in 1997. She is now one of only four operational barques from the 19th Century still capable of sailing.
1874 'Messrs. Bartram, Haswell, and Co., also launched from their shipbuilding yard, South Dock, an iron screw steamer for Messrs. Wilkie and Turnbull, of North Shields. The vessel has been built under special survey, and classed in the Liverpool Underwriters' Registry for 18 years, and is an iron upper decked steamer with iron bulwarks right round. The cabins are fitted with mahogany, maple, and rosewood, and furnished with every requisite for the comfort of the captain and officers. The engines are of 130 horse power nominal, and made by Mr. Dickinson, of Monkwearmouth; they are compound surface condensing engines, and the owners are having a propeller specially made to secure the greatest speed with the smallest consumption of coal. The vessel is intended for the Mediterranean trade, and is of the following dimensions :—length, 241 feet, breadth, 32 feet; depth, 22 feet. As she left the ways the ceremony of christening was performed by Miss Wilkie, the daughter of one of the managing owners, and was named the Kertch." This is the second vessel that has been completed by the builders for Messrs. Wilkie and Turnbull.'
1878 'On Thursday, Messrs. Bartram, Haswell, and Co., launched from their yard at the South Dock a steamer, built to the order of Messrs. Jenneson Taylor and Co., of this town. The vessel is a handsome model designed to combine as far as possible large capacity with good speed, will be classed 100 A 1, Lloyd's highest, and fitted with latest arrangements for efficient and economical working. The dimensions are :—Length, 245 feet; breadth 33½, depth of hold, 18; and the burthen about 1,900 tons. The engines, by Mr. John Dickinson, Monkwearmouth, are of 140 horsepower on the compound principle. On leaving the ways the vessel was named in the usual manner the Rossini by Mrs. Jenneson Taylor, wife of the managing owner.'