Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Morriston, Swansea, South Wales
1860 The Beaufort Tinplate Works was established on the site of the Forest copper mills by John Jones Jenkins (later Lord Glantawe).
The Beaufort Tinplate Co was founded.
1874 Construction of the Annealing Building. This is the sole surviving building of the tin-plate industry in Swansea. At the time of a Cadw survey (October 2003) the building was in a derelict state following fire damage.
1905 The company name was changed to Beaufort Works Ltd and operated the Beaufort Tinplate Works from 1905 to 1946.
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Welsh Tinplate Works. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. D.328)
1946 Works closed
Today this is a complex of nineteenth century buildings - two main blocks of buildings survive with various ancillary buildings. The more easterly of these, the annealing house, is built of stone and can be dated to 1874. Remains of tinning bays are believed to survive within the second block.