Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,270 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1773 Robert Stribling began the construction of 14 townhouses on the site of John Russell's Bedford House.
1832 Nine matching townhouses and an extra-parochial neo-Classical chapel were built in another crescent opposite the early ones.
1942 German bombers set light to much of Exeter's historic centre. The fire from burning buildings in the High Street spread east into Bedford Circus. Many of the townhouses had been gutted by fire with only the walls remaining, although some did survived intact with just broken windows and missing roof slates.
Although deemed repairable by many, the council elected to demolish the buildings and this was completed by 1946.