Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,918 pages of information and 230,620 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Ledsam Street Works, Birmingham, producers of stationary steam engines, diesel engines, steam turbines, and compressors.
1862 Shortly after completing his articles, George Edward Belliss acquired the business of R. Bach and Co at 13-14 Broad Street, Islington, Birmingham, and went into partnership with Joseph J. Seekings, as Belliss and Seekings.
1875 Moved to Ledsam Street Works .
1884 Marine engineer, Alfred Morcom invited by Belliss to join G. E. Belliss and Co as partner. Morcom had previously been chief engineer at Sheerness Dockyard; before that he had been an instructor in the Navy's steam department at Portsmouth and was "one of the few engineers to gain a first class certificate at College" .
1885 Messrs George Belliss and Co received further orders for machinery for torpedo boats constructed by J. Samuel White and Co. Mr Morcom represented George Belliss and Co at the trial of a torpedo catcher.
1887 Order placed with Messrs Belliss and Morcom for triple-expansion engine for H.M.S. Sharpshooter, which would be the lightest engine for its power.
1889 Development of automatic lubrication system for engines.
1891 High-speed engine with forced lubrication is in the London Science Museum.
1893 G. E. Belliss and Co incorporated as a Limited Company
1895 Advert. 
1899 New factory opened in Icknield Square. Need for extra capital met by formation of the company Belliss and Morcom, which was registered on 3 May, to take over the business of engineers of G. E. Belliss.
1900 Public issue of shares .
1900 Belliss and Morcom supplied engines to the Gloucester Electricity Supply Works. Manufactured engines for the Port Dundas electricity works in Glasgow. Supplied engines for generating plant at Bury St Edmunds .
c.1902 Built a factory at Rotten Park Street.
1907-8 Built one double-decker bus for the London General Omnibus Co. It had twin chain final drive.
1909 Built an engine for Park Gate Iron and Steel Co. This was a three-cylinder compound producing 1,080 hp at 300 rpm.
1914 Manufacturers of Patent Forced Lubrication, Quick-Revolution Engines for Electric Lighting, Power, Traction and Mill Driving in standard sizes from 10 to 3000 B.H.P.; also of Condensing Plants, Air Compressors, Fan Engines, Pumping Engines, Paraffin Engines, Steam Turbines etc. 
1919 Producing I.C. engines and continued until the mid 1930s 
1922 Belliss & Morcom overhauled six diesel-generators, ex-German Navy submarines, and installed them in a power station and sub(!)-stations at Southend-on-Sea (London Road, Thorpe Bay and Leigh) 
1937 Manufacturers of oil engines, condensing plants and compressors. 
1949 New steel shop opened on the former site of James Archdale and Co.
1958 Belliss and Morcom acquired full control of W. Sissons
1960 Heavy duty compressors and other equipment.
1966 The receivers of Crossley Brothers had reorganised the company and sold the business and assets to some of its subsidiaries. Subsequently Belliss and Morcom acquired, from this process, Crossley-Premier Engines and Furnival and Co.
1968 Merger of W. H. Allen, Sons and Co and Belliss and Morcom; new holding company known as The Amalgamated Power Engineering Company Ltd (APE) would be owned 60:40 by Allen's and Belliss's shareholders . Later this became part of NEI.
1992 Rotten Park Street works closed
An excellent collection of photographs and reminiscences is available online