Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1788 Listed as dyers, printers, and embossers, Alport Street, Knotmill [Knott Mill]
1795 'NOTICE is hereby given, THAT the Partnership lately carried on at Manchester and Hulme, in the County ot Lancaster, and at Disley, in the County of Chester, under the Firm of BENJAMIN and SAMUEL Calico land Fustian Printers, and Dyers, was dissolved on the 3d instant by mutual Consent. Samuel Gratrix is empowered to receive and pay all Debts due to, and Demands upon the said Partnerfhip, (who carries the Business on his own separate Account, and requests a continuance of the Favors conferred on the late Firm. BENJAMIN GRATRIX. SAMUEL GRATRIX. Manchefter, Dec. 30, 1794'
Green's 1787-1794 map shows Messrs B & S Gratrix's Printing Works located on the outside of a bend in the River Medlock.Immediately south is large reservoir, or pond. It is difficult to reconcile the location with present day geography, but Bancks's 1831 map shows that area had been exposed to the modern world by the construction of a road bridge to carry Medlock Street over the river, and the street ran immediately behind the works. The 1849 O.S. map shows that the business had become Medlock Street Dye Works, with a jumbled collection of building alongside and to the east of Medlock Street. By 1894, the O.S. map shows that the works had gone, replaced by Gaythorn Gas Works. In fact the river had apparently gone, too, having been culverted upstream of Medlock Street bridge.