Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bernard Francis Clark (1876-1949)
Director, Simon-Carves Ltd., Cheadle Heath, Stockport.
1949 Obituary 
WE regret to have to record the death of Mr. Bernard Francis Clark, which occurred at his home, "Beaupre," Bowdon Road, Bowdon, Cheshire, on August 24th. For nearly thirty years he had been closely associated with Simon-Carves, Ltd., Cheadle Heath, of which he was a director and, until his retirement in 1945, head of the power plant department. Bernard Francis Clark- or Frank Clark, as he was more generally known in the engineering industry- was born on January 4, 1876, and served his apprenticeship with the Blaenavon Iron and Steel Co. Altogether, he was with that company for eleven years, the last four of which were spent in the drawing-office. In 1899 he took up an appointment as senior draughtsman at the Brymbo Steel and Ingot Works, Wrexham, and during his stay of five years was concerned with a rebuilding scheme which included the installation of new open-hearth steel plant. Mr. Clark then went as chief draughtsman to the Shelton Iron and Steel Company, Ltd., Stoke-on-Trent, and subsequently as assistant engineer at the Middlesbrough works of the North Eastern Steel Company, Ltd. In 1909 he was appointed assistant works manager of the iron and steel department of Palmer's Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Ltd., Jarrow-on-Tyne, and a year later became chief engineer of the Partington Iron and Steel Company, Ltd., Irlam. Mr. Clark continued with that firm until the end of the first world war, when he joined Stein and Atkinson, Ltd., as a director... Read More
1950 Obituary 
"BERNARD FRANCIS CLARK, was formerly a director and head of the power plant department of Messrs. Simon-Carves, Ltd., of Cheadle Heath, Stockport, and had been associated with that firm for nearly thirty years. He received his technical education at the Stoke-on-Trent Technical School, and served his apprenticeship with the Blaenavon Iron and Steel Co, from 1888 to 1899, passing through the shops and drawing office. He then took up an appointment as senior draughtsman to the Brymbo Steel Co, and, after holding this position for five years, went as head draughtsman to the Shelton Iron and Steel Co, at Stoke-on-Trent, for whom he supervised the reconstruction of blast furnaces.
Subsequently, he served as assistant engineer at the Middlesbrough works of the North Eastern Steel Company, Ltd., and, for a period, was assistant manager of the iron and steel department of Messrs. Palmer's Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Ltd.
He began his association with Messrs. Simon-Carves in 1920, and was elected to the board six years later. During his twenty years' tenure of office as head of the power plant department he displayed much initiative and engineering ability. After his retirement, in 1945, he continued in the service of the company as part-time director and consultant, until his death, which occurred on 24th August 1949, in his seventy-fourth year. Mr. Clark had been a Member of the Institution since 1921. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers."