Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bertram Horn (c1883-1948)
1948 Obituary 
"IT is with deep regret that we have to record the death, suddenly, at his home, " Sideways," Manor Road, Barton, near Luton, on Saturday, January 31st, at the age of sixty-six, of Mr. Bertram Horn, who for over thirty-seven years represented Mirrlees, Bickerton and Day, Ltd., and the Mirrlees Watson Company, Ltd., in the South of England and the Midlands.
He was the son of the late Mr. George Horn, a miller at Kempston, and received his education at Bedford Modern School and technical training at Ipswich Technical College. In 1899 he became a premium apprentice with the firm of E. R. and F. Turner, Ltd., millers' engineers, of Ipswich, and, on completing his practical training, he stayed with the firm a short time as a draughtsman... Read more
1949 Obituary 
"BERTRAM HORN, whose death occurred at Barton-le-Clay, near Luton, on 31st January 1948, at the age of sixty-five, had represented Messrs. Mirrlees, Bickerton and Day, Ltd., and the Mirrlees Watson Company, Ltd., in the South of England for thirty-seven years. He was educated at the Bedford Modern School and obtained his technical instruction at the Technical School in Ipswich. In 1899 he became a premium apprentice with the firm of Messrs. E. R. and F. Turner, Ltd., millers' engineers, of Ipswich, and on completing his practical training four years later continued in their employment as a junior draughtsman.
In 1905 he was appointed chief draughtsman to Messrs. W. Barton and Company, Ltd., Stour Valley Ironworks, Sudbury, and later became works manager. He then went to Croydon to act as sales engineer and representative for Messrs. W. R. Dell and Son, of the Reliance Ironworks in that town; this position he continued to hold from 1908 to 1911, when he joined the staff of Messrs. Mirrlees, Bickerton and Day, Ltd., as outside engineer and sales representative, at Stockport.
During his long tenure of this appointment he was closely concerned with the installation of a large number of oil-engine driven pumping stations, as well as power and industrial plant in the South of England, the Eastern Counties, and the Mid lands. On the merger of this firm with Associated British Oil Engines, Ltd., in 1946, Mr. Horn remained with the parent company, Messrs. Mirrlees Watson, up to the time of his death. He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1912. During the war of 1939-45 he was attached to the Ministry of Munitions as an instructor in the setting up of precision machine tools for making machine guns. He was also associated with Dr. H. R. Richards in connection with the design of engines for tanks."