Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,143 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Watford and Rochester.
British subsidiary of an American company.
The Blaw-Knox company was a manufacturer of steel structures and construction equipment based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The company is today best known for its radio towers, most of which were constructed during the 1930s in the United States. Although Blaw-Knox built many kinds of towers, the term Blaw-Knox tower (or radiator) usually refers to the company's unusual "diamond cantilever" design, which is held upright by guy wires attached only at the vertical centre of the mast, where its cross-section is widest.
1921 Became private company.
1928 Name changed.
1929 Name changed.
1939 Maker of Cletrac crawler tractor
1947 Became public company.
1961 Manufacturers and distributors of construction machinery, design and supply of transmission and radio towers, production and sale of open hearth steel furnace equipment and chemical processing plant. Products include earth moving equipment, excavators, bituminous paver finishers, batching, mixing and bulk cement plants, concrete construction equipment, de-watering plant, and steel storage bins.
US Antenna tower (1936)
The unusual diamond-shaped antenna (manufactured by Blaw-Knox) is visible from Interstate 65 just south of Nashville (in Brentwood) and is one of the area's landmarks. At 808 feet (246 m), it is the tallest of eight such towers that remain in use in North America. As a tribute to the station's centrality in country music history, the diamond Blaw-Knox antenna design was incorporated into the new Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum's design in 2001. It was also part of the CONELRAD US National Emergency Plan in the event of a nuclear war, or another national catastrophe. The tower is under consideration by the Tennessee Historical Commission to be added to the National Register of Historic Places.