Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,411 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Blisworth Tunnel

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
North end.
South end.

Blisworth Tunnel is a canal tunnel on the Grand Union Canal in Northamptonshire, England between the villages of Stoke Bruerne at the southern end and Blisworth at the northern end.

The northern end is about 18 miles from the northern end of the Grand Junction Canal at Braunston, Northamptonshire and the southern end about 20 miles .

At 3,076 yards long it is the third-longest navigable canal tunnel on the UK canal network after Standedge Tunnels and Dudley Tunnel. At its deepest point it is c143 feet below ground level.

Work began in 1793 or 1794, but errors by contractor left a wiggle in the tunnel, and after three years work it collapsed due to quicksand, claiming the lives of 14 men. It was then decided to begin again with a new tunnel.

By the time the rest of the Grand Junction Canal had opened between London and Braunston, Northamptonshire in 1800, apart from the crossing of the River Great Ouse, the section of canal from Blisworth to the lower end of Stoke Bruerne locks was the only section unfinished. This was despite the tunnel having been under construction for seven years: the gap was filled by a temporary horse-drawn tramway over the top of the hill, with goods being transported from boat to wagon and back again. The tramway, built in 1801, was Northamptonshire's first railway.

In 1802 they tried again, although William Jessop proposed a flight of locks instead of a tunnel, but James Barnes the resident engineer insisted on the tunnel.

In March 1805, the tunnel was finally opened and the rails were used to connect the main line of the canal to the River Nene until the branch canal to Northampton was constructed.

There was some major rebuilding of the tunnel in the 1980s, with sections lined with pre-cast concrete rings. It was also used to test out the materials that were later used on the Channel Tunnel. One of the unused rings is on display just outside the south portal.

This tunnel is 3056 yards long and still in use.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information