Opened on 5 May 1865 to the design of Sir Charles Fox and J. W. Wilson. Initially constructed with a length of 1000 ft (305m), it now stands at 350 ft (107m).
- Total length of this pier, 996ft. ;
- Width of the deck 19ft.
- At low water spring tides the distance from the head to the water line is 600ft.
- Its total cost was £4975;
- its cost per foot superficial being 5s. 2 3/4d.,
- and per foot forward £5.
- This pier is almost entirely devoid of ornamentation, and has a simple timber toll house in the centre of the approach. 
Sources of Information