Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Braithwaite and Co Engineers Ltd of Bookham, Surrey
1884 Braithwaite and Kirk was established at Crown Bridge Works, West Bromwich.
The business developed into Engineers with further premises at 117, Victoria-street, Westminster, S.W.; Daimler House, Paradise-street, Birmingham; and Neptune Works, Newport, Monmouthshire, and also at 8, Clive-street, Calcutta.
1917 After the dissolution of the partnership of Braithwaite and Kirk, the business was continued by James Hulse Humphryes and Alexander Anderson as Braithwaite & Co., an engineering firm that produced ‘trench covers’, railway points, water tanks and skin and deck plating for ships. Also owned the Neptune Engineering works, Newport. Braithwaite and Co. Newport Works was a subsidiary company.
1921 Dissolution of the Partnership between James Hulse Humphryes and Alexander Anderson, Constructional Engineers, at 117, Victoria-street, Westminster, and elsewhere, under the style or firm of "BRAITHWAITE & CO." The business was carried by James Hulse Humphryes.
1921 Private company.
1922 of Crown Bridge Works, West Bromwich. Manufacturer of bridges and constructional steelwork.
1927 Company made public.
1930 Applied for a 5-year extension of the 1914 screw pile patent
1935 of Horseferry Road, London; engineers for the Tir John North Power Station in Swansea.
1946 Formation of Braithwaite and Co Structural subsidiary
1961 Constructional engineers and bridge builders. Works at West Bromwich and Newport