Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,949 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
One of the stations producing town gas belonging to the Chartered Gas Company
Some of the original 16 gasholders were in wooden tanks
By 1833 ammonia plant had been added
1835 The first telescopic holder arrived
By 1838 a proving plant had been installed for testing consumers' meters.
1844 The first brick retorts were installed.
1859 new offices were built on the Goswell Road side of the site and the name of the site changed from Brick Lane to Goswell Road. The works were rebuilt at the Goswell Road end of the site and the former works became a coal store.
1871 the works were closed and site continued as a holder station until 1898. The offices became the distribution headquarters of the gas company until 1939 when the staff were transferred to Westminster.