Bristol and South Wales Union Railway
1858 Rowland Brotherhood had the contract for the line, built to connect Bristol with South Wales. The route involved a ferry crossing of the River Severn but was considerably shorter than the alternative route through Gloucester.
1874 Clifton Down branch opened.
1886 The ferry was replaced by the Severn Tunnel but part of the route continues to be used.
Sources of Information
- Wikipedia