Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,894 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Church Street, Newport (Mon.)
Proprietors: Pearce, Richards and Co.
1871: 'NEWPORT. LARGE CASTINGS.-This week several very large castings have been made at the Britannia Foundry, belonging to Messrs. Pearce, Richards, and Co. One is a fly wheel, 18 feet diameter, and weight about 24 tons; the other is a bed plate, weighing about 18 tons. These are believed to be the largest castings ever produced in Newport, and are to be used in fitting up new tin works at Abertillery, belonging to Mr. P. S. Phillips. We are informed that the mill in which the above fly wheel is to be used will be one of the largest in the neighbourhood connected with the manufacture of tin. It is gratifying to be able to report that the town of Newport possesses works able to turn out castings of so large a description, as the public are apt to think that no such work can be executed in those parts. The Britannia is not the only foundry in the town where heavy articles may be cast. There is no need, therefore, of orders being sent far away from home.'
1873 'PONTNEWYDD IRON AND TINPLATE COMPANY —On Thursday afternoon a large fly-wheel was cast by Messrs. Pearce and Richards, Britannia Foundry, Newport. The work of preparation has been in progress for some time, and a furnace has been built especially for the work—the wheel in question weighing about 24 tons. A much larger amount of liquid iron than this, however, was required for the purpose of completing the work. Several persons witnessed the operation of casting with great interest. The operation only occupied about two and half minutes, and is believed to be a great success. The wheel is for the use of the Pontnewydd Iron and Tinplate Company, and is one of the largest that has ever been successfully cast in Newport.'