Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,717 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1931 Nuernberg Schwachstrom Fabriken, a German manufacturing company, set up British NSF Co to import its products.
1932 Private company.
1932 A radio factory was established by British NSF at Croydon; 23 German technicians were brought in for 6 months to train the workers. British manufacture commenced making small components essential to aircraft production.
1934 The Home Secretary gave permission for women and young people to be employed on 2 day shifts in the Wire Winding Dept, at Croydon
WWII NSF was placed under the government’s Custodian of Enemy Property. In one air raid around 30 employees were killed and several wounded. The Ministry of Aircraft Production relocated the factory to Keighley; the first premises were in Dalton Lane.
Postwar: the Company moved to their current premises at Ingrow Bridge. Began production of resistors, condensers and carbon potentiometers and some switches.
1946 Company made public.
1947 Sole licensees of OAK Manufacturing of Chicago, USA (see advert)
1948 Rothermel Corporation acquired 50 percent of British N. S. F. Co Ltd which manufactured switches under licence from Cutler-Hammer Manufacturing Co of Milwaukee, and the Oak Manufacturing Co of Chicago
1950 Started to manufacture the Ledex Rotary Solenoid under licence from Ledex Incorporated
1951 Name changed to NSF Ltd. Started production of rotary wafer switches.