Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Thames House, Millbank, Westminster, London, SW1. Telephone: Victoria 9226. Telegraphic Address: "Aceterator, Sowest, London". (1937)
1886 Brin's Oxygen Co was registered by the Sharp brothers on 26 January, to acquire certain patent rights.
1906 The name was changed to the British Oxygen Co. 
By 1908 the company also had a works at Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
1909 Acquired Scottish and Irish Oxygen Co.
By 1914 the company also had works at Cardiff and Greenwich.
1917 Advert for gases and equipment. 
1919 Advert for gases and equipment. 
1920 British Oxygen took over Sparklets Ltd. The Horseferry Road works were becoming congested and so production was transferred to Sparklets' under-employed Edmonton site.
1927 Advert for oxygen. 
1936 Acquired the Quasi-Arc Co. Ltd from Turner & Newall, taking the company into the electric arc field.
1937 Manufacturers of oxygen, dissolved acetylene, industrial gases and equipment. "Alda" Welding Equipment. 
1937 British Industrial Fair Advert for B. O. C. Oxygen Cutting Machine. Oxy-Acetylene Welding, Cutting, Leadburning and Brazing Equipment. Oxygen Cutting Machines for cutting steel shapes and steel sections. Acetylene Flarelights, Ferro-Arc Electrodes, Metal Spraying Equipment. All Equipment will be demonstrated. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand Nos. D.511; D.410 and D.324). 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
Post-WWII The firm's interests in the chemical field grew greatly, in conjunction with Norsk Hydro
1955 British Oxygen Chemicals Ltd was formed.
1955 All operating companies were put into new subsidiary companies:
and the formation of a new joint venture British Oxygen Linde
1959 British Oxygen Aro Equipment continued developing products; production would start later in the year; British Oxygen Wimpey continued to be involved in engaged in the government rocket research project at Spadeadam; other subsidiaries were Sparklets and Woodside Die Sinking Co
By 1961 the company operated through several divisions:
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Gases and equipment for welding. 
1971 Established joint venture in arc welding with Holec of Holland who would contribute the welding branch of Smit of Nijmegen
1974 Development of laser technology.
1974 Extractor developed to remove arc welding fumes. The Starcrest SEF2 was a wall mounted motor unit fitted with a flexible glass fibre hose surrounding a three-jointed cantilever arm.
1975 The name of the parent company was changed to BOC International Ltd; BOC Ltd was formed to take over the bulk of the trading in the UK.
1982 The holding company was renamed BOC Group plc.
2006 BOC was acquired by Linde AG.