of Brymbo, near Wrexham.
1880s When steel began to supersede iron, Henry Robertson became involved in developing the Brymbo ironworks into the largest steelworks in north Wales.
The company was formed after the deaths of William Henry Darby and Charles Edward Darby, to incorporate the business.
1883-4 John Henry Darby designed and erected basic open hearth steel-making plant at Brymbo, the first in Britain on a commercial scale.
1884 The company was registered in 4 June. 
By 1891 was referred to as Brymbo Steel and Ingot Co
1908 Description of large gas engines supplied to Brymbo by MAN of Germany 
1908 Brymbo Steel Co acquired the Broughton Solvay Coke Co Ltd which was then liquidated
1918 Baldwins acquired control of the Brymbo Steel Co.
c.1931 The works closed
1933 After several years when the company was treated as having zero value in Baldwins' accounts, a receiver was appointed for the company
1934 The Brymbo Steelworks re-opened, taking on some of the workers who had been laid off when it closed 3 years previously
1936 The Brymbo Steel Co Ltd was removed from the register
1937 Brymbo Steel Co responded to Lord Nuffield's criticism of the high price of British steel
1938 The Brymbo Steelworks were stopped because customers had too much stock in hand from foriegn sources
1940 Installed new electric furnace melting shop and planned to blow-in the blast furnace for making basic pig iron
1942 A blowing engine was installed by Richardsons, Westgarth and Co
1948 The works and property of Brymbo Steel Co were transferred to GKN, which used the steel "sheet" bars produced by the works; the company name was changed again to Wrexham Steel Works Ltd.
Sources of Information
- ↑ Biography of Henry Richardson, ODNB
- ↑ The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- ↑  The Engineer 1 May 1908, p.459
- ↑ London Gazette 28 August 1908
- ↑ The Times, Apr 26, 1918
- ↑ The Times, Mar 24, 1933
- ↑ The Times, Nov 27, 1933
- ↑ London Gazette 17 March 1936
- ↑ The Times, Aug 23, 1937
- ↑ The Times, Mar 19, 1938
- ↑ The Times, Jan 13, 1940
- ↑ The Times, Feb 06, 1948