Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Bull Rock Lighthouse

From Graces Guide
1889.
1889.

Bull Rock is situated off the entrance to Kenmare River, five-and-a-half miles from the mainland and two-and-a-half miles from the nearest point of Dursey Island. It measures roughly 750ft by 540ft; the sides are steep and rugged and the summit is 305ft above sea level.[1]

After much past debate, a lighthouse for Bull Rock was finally put to Trinity House after nearby Calf Rock Lighthouse was swept away by a fierce storm, leaving the south-west coast of Ireland unsafe.

1882 April - Work commenced on Bull Rock by landing a team of miners to the site. A total of 15,957 cubic yards of hard rock was excavated. Over 300 steps had to be cut out of the side of the rock to gain access from the boat landing to the site for the tower.[2]

Comapleted in 1888, the station consisted of an octagonal lighthouse tower, dwellings for the Keepers, an oil-gas works to supply gas for the burners in the optic and an explosive fog-signal, together with steps, boat landings, dericks and hoists. The bi-form hyper-radial optic was the biggest in Ireland.[3]

1889 The lantern and fog signal was established.

1902 The explosive fog-signal was replaced with a siren of three trumpets operated from compressors in the engine room.

1910 Light was converted from oil-gas to vapourised paraffin.

1974 Light was converted to electric power increasing the candle-power to 4,500,000.

1989 The fog signal was discontinued.

On 31st March 1991 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation and the Keepers were withdrawn from the station.

On the 6 October 2000 the station was converted to solar power.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information