Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Burney and Blackburne of Tongham, near Farnham, maker of motorcycles and engines.
of Bookham, Surrey
The company was formed by Cecil Stanley Burney and Alick Burney, two motor engineers, who bought the rights to the De Havilland engine. They involved Harold Blackburn, a test pilot, in their entreprise, adding an "e" to his name for their Blackburne motorcycles and engines used in motorcycles and light aircraft.
Blackburne motorcycles were produced from 1913 to 1922.
1913 The first Blackburne model entered the market early that year. It had a 499cc 3.5hp sv engine with a large outside flywheel and a one-piece forged crankshaft. This combination made it one of the smoothest running engines of the period. It also had a belt-driven three-speed hub gear and Saxon forks. Late that year the company moved to Tongham, Surrey.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of motorcycles see the 1917 Red Book
1916 Both models were still listed that year and then joined by a 3.5hp model with three speeds.
Post World War I. Manufacture of motorcycles went to OEC at Gosport, Hampshire.
1919 There were three models and the 1916 machine now had all-chain drive and was rated at 4hp. The other two were a 2.75hp two-speed single and an 8hp V-twin combination. The company then sold its own rights to OEC
1920 Advertising motor cycles for the Motor Cycle Show 
1921 Only the V-twin combo and 4hp single were listed that year.
1922 The twin alone was in production. With the involvement of OEC, the company names combined, and thereafter Blackburne concentrated on producing engines for other companies, which continued well into the next decade.
1923 Burney motorcycles were produced from 1923 to 1927; firstly at the John Warwick works in Reading, Berkshire, followed by Twyford and finally from Shalford, near Guildford
1923 By now Burney was in partnership with Captain Oliver M. Baldwin who was a great success at Brooklands. A new machine was produced with a 495cc sv single cylinder engine with outside flywheel, and a three-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox with all-chain drive. The machine was neatly assembled to provide a solo with sporting appearance.
1924 With a few alterations, the single continued to be produced. Centre-spring replaced the Druid forks and a more comfortable spring-top saddle was fitted. Manufacture was on a small scale and the quality of finish was very high. This meant that it was expensive compared with a similarly sized BSA and sales were limited.
1925 Production had ceased.
1926 A stylish new machine was announced. This had a V-twin 680cc sv JAP engine. Sporting in appearance, this new Burney had Brampton forks, girder frame construction, eight-inch front and rear Enfield brakes and 'twistgrip' control for both ignition and the Binks carburettor.
1927 Although the machine was listed that year and was of fashionable design, it was not sufficiently successful to allow such a small company to continue.
Burney and Blackburne of Bookham
Produced engines for light aircraft: