Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
also see Castrol: Image Gallery
of 27 Cannon Street, London E.C., manufacturer of lubricating oils.
Founded on 19 March 1899 by Charles Cheers Wakefield in London; originally named the Wakefield Oil Company.
In 1909, the company began production of a new automotive lubricant named Castrol (a contraction of Castor oil, from which it was made). The company developed specific oil applications for various applications of the new internal combustion engine, including automobiles, motorcycles, and aircraft. .
1910 An airship called Carbic (built by Spencer and Sons - possibly C. G. Spencer and Sons) was flown over the aero exhibition at Olympia; it was later featured on C. C. Wakefield and Co's advertisement of acetylene lighting for motorists.
1910 Supplied Carbic cake, made in Yorkshire, claimed to be an improved method of packaging the ingredients for making acetylene. Exhibited patented Carbic acetylene lamp at exhibition at Olympia.
1912 Advertised Wakefield Castrol lubricating oil
1913 Listed as manufacturers of lubricating oils and patentees of the Wakefield mechanical llubricator. Moved offices to Wakefield House 30 - 34 Cheapside E. C.
1916 Advertised Castroleum oil (see advert)
1917 Advertised as C. C. Wakefield and Co; registered company
1919 Castrol oil used in pioneering air flights, across the Atlantic and elsewhere.
1921 Castrol oils used by T.T. race winners.
1933 Introduced mechanised service for car lubrication at Castrol Lubrequipment Services
1941 Death of Viscount Wakefield, founder of the company.
1944 Private placing of shares in the company
1945 Shares admitted to trading on London Stock Exchange.
1952 Report of 35th general meeting of the company; W. B. Dick and Co was the principal subsidiary; John B. Pillin Ltd was also a subsidiary - that company was responsible for manufacture of lubricating appliances that the company sold.
1956 The principal subsidiary from 1 January was Wakefield-Dick Industrial Oils Ltd. In 1957 this company had been awarded a contract to supply lubricating oil to Chapel Cross atomic power station and others under construction.
1960 Name changed to Castrol Ltd. Transfer of head office to new building, Castrol House, Marylebone Road. Acquired De-corrosion services (Norwest) Ltd of Bootle which had been renamed Metal Cleaning Ltd.