Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,481 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Calcutt Iron Works, near Broseley
1811 Advertisement (original spelling retained): 'CALCUTT IRON WORKS, On the banks of the Severn, in the parish of Brozley, in the county of Salop. To Iron Masters, Engineers, &c. THE valuable property upon these extensive IRON WORKS, lately carried on Alexander Brodie, Esq. deceased, will be SOLD BY AUCTION, by Mr. WILLIAM STANTON, towards the latter end of July, 1811; comprising Blast Engine, of 60 horse power, by Mierray and Wood, on Messrs. Bolton and Watt's plan; a Ditto, of 80 horse power, on Messrs. Brodie and Glazebrook's patent; a powerful Water Engine, and three Coal Winding Engines, all complete; Cannon Boring Mill, on a superior plan for power and accuracy; Boring Mill, for Cylinders; Ditto, and Turning Mill, with an excellent large Iron Water Wheel; a large quantity of Cast Pipe from Blast Engines to Furnaces, Winding Engines, Blacking Mill, Moulding Boxes, and sundry Tools and Implements in Foundry, and Smiths' Shops, some unproved Cannon, and sundry Wastril Cannon, Models and Patterns, Coal and Slack Carriages. The remaining stock of Crawstone and Penniston's raw and calcined Pig Iron, old cast and wrought Iron, and other valuable effects. Also, the Farming Stock, Corn in the Straw, Hay, Live Stock, Farming Implements, &c. and the Household Furniture. Further particulars will expressed in future advertisements.'
1831 Hazledine gave up the lease on the ironworks.
1830 Advertisement: 'CALCUTT IRON WORKS, NEAR BROSELEY. TO be SOLD by AUCTION, by Mr. R. DAVIS, at the Tontine Inn, near the Iron Bridge, in the county of Salop, on Friday the 17th day of December, 1830, at four o'clock the afternoon, subject to conditions to be then produced, in one lot—all those extensive and well established Iron Works, called the CALCUTT WORKS, situate on the banks of the River Severn, in the parish of Broseley, in the said county of Salop, with about 70 Acres Land adjoining, and lying on easy ascent from the same, containing Coals, Ironstone, Brick and Tile Clay and other minerals;—and all that capital Dwelling House with the Coach-house, Stables, and Buildings recently erected and occupied by the late Alexander Brodie, Esq. and now by his widow, with a capital Garden, and several Parcels of Meadow Land adjoining; together also with sundry Workmen's Cottages, Buildings, and every other appurtenant requisite For the use of an extensive Work.
The Works consist of a Blast Engine, two Iron Furnaces (each capable of making 50 tons of pig iron weekly) Casting Houses, a Boiling [Boring?] Mill worked by water wheel, Coking Ovens (the cokes from which are considered very superior in the manufacture of pig iron) lead Condensers, a Boiling House, a Boiler for making pit coal tar, four Winding Engines, a Weighing Machine, and sundry other buildings and appurtenances appropriate to property of a similar description.
Several Pit Shafts are now open.
The Brick Works are in full work, and the Clays are of the best quality.
The principle Dwelling House, Furnaces. Buildings Lands, Mines, and nearly the whole of the Premises are held under lease for the remainder of term of 80 years which commenced on the 5th April, 1786, under the annual rent of £120. Several of the Workmen's Cottages are held for terms of years determinable on lives, the particulars of which will be given at the time of sale.
Mr. John Griffiths, of Broseley, will shew the property, and any further particulars may be had of him; Mr. Dyer, Morvill, near Bridgnorth........'