Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,190 pages of information and 233,425 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1854 Proposal accepted for constructing the Cannock Extension Canal.
1858 The canal was opened to Rumer Hill Junction
By 1863 it was fully opened; 5.6-mile long.
1859 A connection, the Churchbridge Branch, was opened to a branch of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, the Hatherton Canal which had thirteen locks.
c.1953 The Churchbridge Branch became disused
1960 part of the canal sank by 21 feet due to mining subsidence
1961 commercial traffic stopped
1963 Part of the canal was abandoned